Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Sorry, No Tears For Clemens

As the baseball media worships at the altar of Roger Clemens, crying in unison over his lack of run support this year, I try to join in...wait...no, I can't.

Yes, I know the Astros have been shutout in 6 of Clemens' starts this year, scoring only 5 runs in the 6 games he has lost.

But do you know how many times I've suffered through this stuff with Maddux?

Take 1992 for instance, the year he won the first of his 4 consecutive Cy Young Awards. He threw a ridiculous 268 innings* that year going 20-11 for the perpetually hapless Chicago Cubs. In his 11 losses that season, the mighty Cubs scored 8 total runs and were shutout 7 times.

So stop crying. Maddux has endured this mess his whole career.

* Maddux's 268 innings lead the Majors that season by far. To put it in perspective, if Chris Carpenter (this year's current innings leader) were to throw complete games in all of his remaining starts this season, he would still fall 20 innings short of Maddux's '92 mark.

No comments: