I promised to give you some nuggets from Harold Bloom's writing on HAMLET, but first, a few nuggets on Shakespeare in general.
"The more one reads and ponders the plays of Shakespeare, the more one realizes that the accurate stance toward them is one of awe. How he was possible, I cannot know, and after two decades of teaching little else, I find the enigma insoluble."
"Bardolatry, the worship of Shakespeare, ought to be even more a secular religion than it already is. The plays remain the outward limit of human achievement: aesthetically, cognitively, in certain ways morally, even spiritually. They abide beyond the end of mind's reach; we cannot catch up to them. Shakespeare will go on explaining us, in part because he invented us, which is the central argument of this book."
"To catalogue Shakespeare's largest gifts is almost an absurdity: where begin, where end? He wrote the best poetry and the best prose in English, or perhaps in any Western language. That is inseperable from his cognitive strength; he thought more comprehensively and originally than any other writer. It is startling that a third achievement should overgo these, yet I join Johnsonian tradition in arguing, nearly four centuries after Shakespeare, that he went beyond all precedents (even Chaucer) and invented the human as we continue to know it."
"Hamlet, Freud's mentor, goes about inducing all those he encounters to reveal themselves, while the prince himself (like Freud) evades his biographers. What Hamlet exerts upon his fellow characters is an epitome of the effect of Shakespeare's plays upon their critics. I have struggled to the limit of my abilities, to talk about Shakespeare and not about myself, but I am certain that the plays have flooded my consciousness, and that the plays read me better than I read them. I once wrote that Falstaff would not accept being bored by us, if he was to deign to represent us. That applies also to Falstaff's peers, whether benign like Rosalind and Edgar, frighteningly malign like Iago and Edmund, or transcending us utterly, like Hamlet, Macbeth, and Cleopatra. We are lived by drives we cannot command, and we are read by works we cannot resist. We need to exert ourselves and read Shakespeare as strenuously as we can, while knowing that his plays will read us more energetically still. They read us definitively."
"Shakespeare has been universally judged to be a more adequate representer of the universe of fact than anyone else, before him or since...We keep returning to Shakespeare because we need him; no one give us so much of the world most of us take to be fact...Our ideas as to what makes the self authentically human owe more to Shakespeare than ought to be possible, but then he has become a Scripture, not to be read as many of us read the Bible, but also not to be read as we read Cervantes or Dickens or Whitman. THE COMPLETE WORKS OF WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE could as soon be called THE BOOK OF REALITY, fantastic as so much of Shakespeare deliberately intends to be. I have written elsewhere that Shakespeare is not only in himself the Western canon; he has become the universal canon, perhaps the only one that can survive the current debasement of our teaching institutions, here and abroad. Every other writer may fall away, to be replaced by the anit-elitist swamp of Cultural Studies. Shakespeare will abide, even if he were to be expelled by the academics, in itself most unlikely. He extensively informs the language we speak, his principal characters have become our mythology, and he, rather than his involuntary pupil Freud, is our psychologist."
Monday, April 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I like Shakespeare. Alot.
Okay...am I the only one who thinks this post is worthy of way more than 1 comment?
Post a Comment