Friday, April 20, 2007

Chicks Dig the Long Ball...

My grandmother and her daughter would be quick to affirm that when I was young, I would pay more attention to TV commercials than I would to the actual programming. This probably had something to do with the fact that more often the not those two ladies were watching soap operas.

I still love commercials, and I ran across one the other day from 1995 that is still talked about in sports circles.

The commercial is for Nike from 1995 and features my boy, Greg Maddux, his teammate Tom Glavine, and the now infamous Mark McGwire. Glavine won the Cy Young award (that's the award for best pitcher...in case you didn't know) in 1991 and Maddux won the next four (he was in the process of winning his fourth when this commercial was shot). McGwire (and his fellow steriod users) were in the process of changing the game to a homerun spectacle. This commercial displays some of America's love affair with the homerun back then, and how great pitchers were no longer being regarded as stars like they once were.

The commercial also features Heather Locklear, the "it girl" from back then. In any case, you'll get to witness Maddux's extreme nerdiness...the glasses (he's had lasik since), the voice. Remember that the forearm bump that Maddux and Glavine do at the end of the commercial was made famous by McGwire and Jose Canseco (the most open of all steroid users) when they were with the Oakland A's.

"Chicks dig the long ball" became a huge catchphrase...Micah would remember.

So witness Mad-dog back when we was our age (well, Jen, Micah and Muffin's age)...I'm not that old.

Here's the link to it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUY4wvu6DQ4

"Come on, Alice!"

9 comments:

Micah said...

after that commercial i've spent much more time practice the long ball in video games and picking the big swatters in fantasy leagues. telling chicks we got cy young winners over here (re: the chin musicians, my flb team) didn't really do much. not even for nerdy chicks.

Jen said...

Those guys look way older than us. Like Rafe's age.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just caught that. At least I haven't written a post about bird watching.

Jen said...

That was a post about an article I read about bird watching, thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

What's the difference? Your top five would be birds and plants and old stuff.

Jen said...

Well, that's true. I'm working on it now, as a matter of fact.

Anonymous said...

Keep me posted on how it all goes down ;)

My Breathments Off said...

Man, that's a great commercial. What happened to commericals like that?

Micah said...

man, that commercial is 60s long. who has that kind of atten