Friday, June 01, 2007

"Not it!"

Sorry, just used to saying that as fast I can when a game of tag is on.

Ok, so we all know the rules. Let's get this over with (except for the part where I'm tagging others...no thanks).

The first list I typed up was too serious, long, and weird. I've discarded it so as to not let everyone in on the (random) fact that I'm holding on to my mental health by a thread.

8 random facts/habits:

1. I really liked the Spice Girls. I didn't think any of them were attractive at all (even Beck's wife) and I thought their videos were hilariously awful (especially the one in the desert where they appear to be fighting some kind of battle with deadly frisbees). But, I loved just about all of their singles (especially "Two Become One" and "Say You'll Be There").

2. I have a serious aversion to light, especially indoors. Even now, I am sitting on my couch typing this and there is not a single light on in the three rooms I can see. I do everything with as little light as possible. In my office, I open the blinds and that's it. My wife often makes "batcave" jokes. She's the one who reminded me of this random fact, btw. In related news, Batman is, without compare, my favorite superhero.

3. It seems that I love my cats inordinately. Whenever I'm out of town, it's embarrassing to admit how much I miss them. All three of them sleep with me/on me every night. When there were only two of them, I once put them in a suitcase and snuck them into a bed and breakfast, effectively ruining my second wedding anniversary.

4. I love the drums. When I was little I used to set up my mom's tupperware all around me and play drums to her old Beatles 45's. When I was being wheeled out of the hosptial after my last colonoscopy, still partly under the anesthetic (I don't remember this), I was playing air drums. Every week these days, when in need of a distraction at work, I'll go into the sanctuary, plug in my ipod, and play the drums. I'm getting better.

5. I am almost always cold and very often sick. My Uncle Bo loves to remind my dad (his brother) of why I am (in his opinion) like this. When I was a junior in high school, while my dad was building the house he and my mom still live in, we lived in a crappy "rent house" across the street from Bo. It was winter and my room had no heat. I slept every night in insulated coveralls, an electric blanket, and a wool hat. I was constantly sick and it really does seem I've been that way since. Bo called the house (and still does) "the ammonia hole" though, of course, he means "pneumonia hole."

6. I hit puberty later than may be thought possible. I was 5'3" and around 100lbs in the 10th grade (which should have been 11th grade, but I did 8th grade twice for the very reasons I am here discussing). My parents were worried about it. Took me to the doctor. Thought about giving me hormone shots or something like that. They never did. Let me convey the hilarity of this season in my life with two anecdotes: a) One time when I was playing Ninja Turtles (like actually pretending to be one in a little felt mask that I had made), I busted in on one of my friends making out with a girl. They were both my age. b) Terrance Brooks, an African-American friend of mine in 8+ (that's my second 8th grade), used to pick at me by saying in a congratulatory manner, "Myles, yo hair growin'!" He didn't know that I knew very well he wasn't talking about the hair on my head. He also didn't know that he was too early with his joke.

7. I look forward to telling some whippersnapper when I'm an old fart the story of how I once watched Greg Maddux beat Roger Clemens from the owner's suite in Houston. By then, few will be able to doubt that these two guys were the greatest two pitchers to ever play the game.

8. I am the opposite of claustrophobic. But, maybe that's not right because I'm not afraid of space. I just prefer to be in womb-like situations. My first office was tiny and the only one that I have liked. The rest have been too big. Even now, when I really need to work well, I go over into this little nook/corner to work. It would take too long to describe the pleasure of sleeping in my bed as a kid after my mom and dad gave me this tent that hooked on to my mattress. I used to make little forts and sleep in my closet. I would rather live in a smaller house than the one I live in now.

17 comments:

Micah said...

i'm so looking forward to be an old cantankerous geezer "giving hell" to all those young whippersnappers.

back in the old day we had to carry our mobile phones with and and use the remote to change the tv channels. you kids don't have any social graces and don't know what life is like.

Anonymous said...

We must be fairly good friends because with the exception of #1, I've been knowing all of these, right down to (almost) all the details. Wow! Excellent expression of your 8 randoms...:)

M.R. said...

We must be...or maybe I just talk about myself too much. Now, I'm really afraid that I do just that and am really hoping to not do that anymore. Ugh.

I only knew 4 of the 10 you listed about yourself, but I knew 6 of the 8 Rafe listed (mainly because he's told me or made fun of you in my presence).

BTW, Rafe's random listing game is much more fun.

Am I still talking? I need to go to Kroger. Dang, I got to go play softball. Shut up!

Lauren said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

C'mon now. Your stories are awesome and I anticipate with eagerness hearing them again. To see them in written form was a completely different experience. I only know your randoms because we are such good friends, not because you talk about yourself too much. Please. We'll have none of that.

In other news, guess who slept with me this morning? Okay, I'll tell you...FRED! :)

M.R. said...

Ohhh my furriest feline friend named Fred! (I say that too him all the time...emphasizing the f's and mumble/whispering the rest.)

Cate said...

This is awkward.

Anonymous said...

haha...you're just jealous Fred didn't sleep with you :) Tell Arthur he doesn't talk about himself too much.

Are you gonna let Rafe make his list about you, A? I'm sure talking too much isn't on it, even though he knows every one of your stories by heart. :)

M.R. said...

And why does he know them all by heart? Because of excruciating repetition.

Rafe can have at it with his list. It's a much better game anyway (as I've already said and am now repeating). I would probably want the chance to reciprocate, though. I have some randoms of my own about him...and the rest of you people. I just hope he doesn't humiliate me.

M.R. said...

Btw, if "talks too much" is on any list about me, I will immediately take a vow of silence and (for insurance) commit suicide. I was just telling Cherish yesterday, "he/she talks too much" is just about the last thing I would ever want anyone to say about me or anyone I love. UGH!!!!!

Cate, sorry if this awkward. Have you posted randoms yet?

Cate said...

I haven't been tagged. But, I'm sure I could tell ya'll some randoms that you never would have guessed. And talking too much about yourself would NEVER be on any list. You tell the best stories...or maybe you're just the best story-teller.

Cate said...

Oh, and Muffers, I'm not jealous about Fred sleeping with you cuz I know he loves me more since I feed him. And Joe loves me most cuz I loved him first. Ha.

M.R. said...

Cate, if you just called me "the best storyteller," then you just moved to the top of my "best things anyone has ever said to me (that are fit to repeat)" list.

Cate said...

Yay! I'm at the top of a list! I did post my 8 randoms...uninvited.

Anonymous said...

1. Myles never flexes his muscles in the mirror.

2. Myles relishes any injury he receives playing baseball/softball.

3. Money is an afterthought to Myles. He sees it as an inconvenience and seldom thinks about it.

4. Myles has a unique ability of making you care about something you couldn't care less about.

5. Myles would rather contemplate someone else's thoughts than ponder his own. Indeed, he lives to mesh his mind together with those whom he respects.

6. Myles hardly ever cleans his plate or finishes a coke.

7. Myles doesn't think mathematically (quantitative).

8. Myles loves to rank things (qualitative).

Cate said...

Number 4 is right on...and confirms his being the best story teller I know. Rafe, what about me?

Unknown said...

yea again about 4, but he also can empathize greatly with you for something he would otherwise have never noticed (really 4 and 5 are quite related). and to me 7 and 8 are related. the fact that these have no bearing on each other for him... just doesn't make sense to poor malcolm.