3:10 to Yuma
American Gangster
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Enchanted
Michael Clayton
Juno
The Savages
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Michael Clayton, and Juno all have a strong chance to be nominated for BEST PICTURE on Tuesday. Some critics believe Juno can actually take home the Oscar. American Gangster has already been nominated for BEST PICTURE in Britain's Academy Awards, despite having little chance (oddly enough) to be nominated in AMERICA'S. I've seen 3:10 to Yuma and Enchanted each more than once, taking loved ones to see each on the return trips. The Savages gets my vote for ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY. I think all of these movies are great and highly recommend them all. But none of them would make my ballot for BEST PICTURE. On top of this, there are two other important movies I have not seen: Into the Wild may receive a BEST PICTURE nomination (although I suspect I would not like it) and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead is considered masterful by most critics and comes recommended by a friend whose taste I really trust. I say all this to reiterate what you've probably heard me say already: this is the best year for movies that I can remember.
My Top 5:
1. No Country For Old Men
2. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
3. There Will Be Blood
4. Atonement
5. Eastern Promises
My winners in certain other categories:
DIRECTOR--Joel & Ethan Coen (No Country For Old Men)
LEAD ACTOR--Daniel Day Lewis (There Will Be Blood)
LEAD ACTRESS--Amy Adams (Enchanted)
SUPPORTING ACTOR--Casey Affleck (The Assassination of...)
SUPPORTING ACTRESS--Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton)
ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY--Tamara Jenkins (The Savages)
ADAPTED SCREENPLAY--Joel & Ethan Coen (No Country For Old Men)
CINEMATOGRAPHY--Roger Deakins (The Assassination of...)
SCORE--Dario Marianelli (Atonement)
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Welcome back, sir.
Sheesh, we have got to get about the movie watching.
But what if the writer's strike isn't over by the time the Oscar's are to air? This could be the greatest tragedy: the best year you can remember for movies and there's no formal Oscar's ceremony to celebrate it!
Dude, you didn't see Lars and the real girl for best adapted.
Post a Comment