Thursday, January 24, 2008

Notes On the Best Picture Nominees

Atonement - This movie is one of two best picture nominees that does not deserve to win. Its script is flawed if not juvenile. Most critics insist that it does not even begin to plunge the psychological depths of its source material. (Having not read the book, I cannot say.) That being said, its first act is as mesmerizing as any act in any movie from 2007. It is absolutely engrossing despite what I feel to be an impossible plot element and an ill-defined dramatic obstacle. In my opinion it deserves all but one of its 7 nominations (adapted screenplay) and perhaps one that it did not receive (director). It excels particularly with its cinematography and score.

Juno - I love this movie, but it is the other best picture nominee that does not deserve to win. Its main character is too good to be true. She is literally too cool for high school. No 16-year-old is as cool and witty as is Juno. Nevermind that no 16-year-old could write the song she and her boyfriend do, especially not one who likes The Stooges, Patti Smith, and The Runaways. Ellen Page gives the most lovable performance of the year aside from the tragically un-nominated Amy Adams in Enchanted. Michael Cera is equally great as Pauly Bleeker, who "is actually really good in...chair." The script has some remarkably original elements and a truly original protagonist. It deserves each of its 4 nominations.

Michael Clayton - In this wide open Oscar year, this is the only best picture nominee which has no chance to win. Nevertheless, it is a perfect movie. I told my wife so the moment we left the theater. Still, its subject matter (high-stakes, legal, ethical dilemma) is not particularly near to my heart. I admire this movie but was not profoundly moved by it. It deserves every nomination it received and I sincerely hope that Tilda Swinton wins for her amazing performance in a supporting role. I cannot wait to see this film again and to examine some of the intricacies of a script that I'm sure I don't yet fully appreciate. Its tact reminds me of some of the best 70's dramas like All The President's Men. Once again (I believe I said this last year) George Clooney proves himself more talented than we realize.

No Country For Old Men - This movie, too, is perfect. And since it also moved me more than any movie in 2007 (its "father and son" motif gives it a big leg up), I hope it wins best picture. Its script combines realism and design in a way that should provoke jealousy among screenwriters (and wannabee screenwriters). Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem, and Tommy Lee Jones are each worthy of nominations (although only Bardem received one). Has any movie ever been so tense without the benefit of a score? Its unconventional closing scene is a masterwork and brought me to tears. Its penultimate scene may be even better. The whole film is replete with highly memorable scenes and lines. I hope a bucket full of Oscars is coming the Coen brothers way. You can't stop what's comin'.

There Will Be Blood - I'm not sure what to think about this movie. I think it's great but I get the feeling that it's more than that. I'm certain I don't come close to understanding it. I feel like I felt the first time I saw Citizen Kane. I knew it was great, I just couldn't say why. I will not be surprised if years from now our children look back on this movie as an American masterpiece. It bucks with unbridled genius. If P.T. Anderson wins best director over the Coen brothers he will deserve it if only for being smart enough to cast (soon-to-be- two-time Oscar winner) Daniel Day Lewis in the lead role. Some critics have said that this movie's reach exceeds its grasp. It's probably better to admit that it exceeds ours.

7 comments:

Cate said...

Atonement: Absolutely stunning visually. My senses were on edge the entire movie. The movie paid particular attention to mundane sounds like buzzing bugs, water, footsteps...and the lighting and photography were breathtaking. As far as any plot or character development...poop. Nuthin'.

Juno: The most emotionally engaging movie I've seen. Fantastic. Although unrealistic as far as dialogue goes, you wish it was realistic. I straight up adore this movie. Ellen Page can do nothing but win the Oscar for her perfect performance. Everyone associated with this movie deserves tons of credit.

Michael Clayton: Not yet seen.

No Country for Old Men: I admit I should see this again. Tommy Lee Jones was amazing...deserves and nomination for this role. Javier deserves to win. Very well done, but not appreciated enough by me.

There Will Be Blood: Not yet seen cuz Shreveport sucks.

Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford definitely deserved to be nominated. Fantastic. Casey deserves a nom, and the cinematography has to win. Another visually stunning film.

Lauren said...

I nominate the Foo Fighter's, "Long road to ruin" for something. That video is awesome!

Lauren said...

That last comment was by Rafe, I don't know how to change the id on google.

As for the movies, I agree with the premise of "Enchanted"--real life is better than fiction. You guys have got to watch more Cops and Mathis.

M.R. said...

I'll take a fairy tale any day, especially if "real life" is watching "Cops" and "Judge Mathis."

That video IS awesome. I'd at least nominate it for best make-up because of Grohl's sweet hair. I can't wait to see them next month (oh yeah)!!!!!

Lauren said...

Am I crazy or is that Corky in the video?

Anything that spoofs "celebrity" is good stuff if you ask me. In fact, I could probably get into movies more if they didn't have celebrities in them.

M.R. said...

Haha! That's their guitar player. He does look like Corky in the video now that you mention it.

The best part is the amount of time Grohl spends crying. It's practically every frame. I love those guys.

Anonymous said...

Um...I'm pretty sure it's obvious, but that was indeed Rafe all 3 times. Identity thief! I will now show him how to post a comment as himself.

btw,what happened to that most precious comment on the other post? Was it intentionally deleted?