Wednesday, October 31, 2007

On Dylan's Performances


I want to respond to the disparaging comments about Dylan's live show, all of which are highly accurate.

In the early 1980's Dylan was worn out on performing. In fact, he admits in his autobiography, CHRONICLES, VOL 1, that he made a decision to not tour anymore. He desperately needed some new way to perform his songs. The idea occurred to him to perform his own songs by singing the lyrics (where possible) "on the odds instead of the evens" (music is very mathematical). Weird as he is, it totally rejuvenated him and he's been doing it ever since. That's why his songs sound so strange live. Watch his "Unplugged" from the 90's. He sings songs everyone knows in ways in which you cannot sing along with him. It challenges his own mind as much as it challenges your ears…the only difference being HE LIKES IT. If you are not prepared for it as an audience member, it's extremely frustrating. If you are not a Bob Dylan fan, there is no way to enjoy it, and no blame can be laid on you for not being able to enjoy it. I would much rather hear him sing the songs normally.

But...hear me now and believe me later…Bob Dylan has the capacity to be as mesmerizing a performer as anyone you have ever seen, including the utterly captivating Adam Duritz. Remember, it was Duritz himself who, in a song named for a shadowy figure in Dylan's "Ballad of a Thin Man," said, "I wanna be Bob Dylan." (As a side note: remember that Duritz likewise frustrated many of his own fans in the mid 90's when he sang their favorite lyrics from "August" and "Recovering" quite irregularly on two live albums.) Bob Dylan got his first record deal by completely captivating audiences by himself with a guitar in Greenwich Village. Watch documentary footage of him and you will see. In Scorsese's NO DIRECTION HOME, Dylan sings "Mr. Tambourine Man" by himself at the end of a full band show in London. I have never seen a musical performance so arresting. He sings beautifully (Dylan's sorry voice is an act, btw). He seems to be in a trance and his shockingly white-blue eyes (you've seen them in his Wallflower son) are glazed over by the effects of who-knows-what substance. He's younger than any of us and he looks as weary as only a 60-something wanderer should look. He is already the Ancient Mariner: "He holds him with his glittering eye."

The thing is that from his earliest days as a star, Dylan was understood as a rebel who always said the unexpected. He saw through this and noticed that people didn't want him to keep saying the unexpected, they simply wanted him to say the enigmatic sounding things they wanted him to say. His current live show his way of saying, "I'll say what you expect, but not in the way you want to hear it." It is frustrating.

I tried to get my wife to go with me. She can't stand Dylan or my impersonation of him. I asked her "How often do you get the chance to see a genius? An actual undisputed living legend?" No matter how much you are put off by Dylan's show, it will matter one day to be able to tell your grandkids that you saw Bob Dylan. For that reason Eric is right, Rafe will never regret seeing him, and the rest of you need to get on it.

I need to stop.

13 comments:

Micah said...

but what does TK say about Dylan? play me some old guy radio.

Anonymous said...

Regarding the Dylan performance I witnessed, he seemed either unprepared, drunk, or both. Or, maybe he was just over our heads--there weren't many musical elitists in the crowd.

Either way, Kyper was also worse than him.

Lauren said...

I'd totally go see him.

M.R. said...

Micah, awwww Tony, Tony!

Rafe, Kyper? I had to google that one. Electro hop rap? Awesome.

Lauren, whatev. You sooo wouldn't.

Micah said...

I would probably go see him with someone else who wanted to go, but I don't have much history for seeing live music. If you take out Nelson, being that it was 1991 or so and that it was at Six Flags, then my resume may be limited to The Beastie Boys and Oasis. I think Dylan would fit in with these, as would Radiohead.

I would love to see TK live.

Lauren said...

I soooo would, punk.

Lauren said...

That's a cool photo of him, btw.

M.R. said...

Aint it?

One day I'll take my riveting stage performances to "eyeliner" level.

Anonymous said...

Kyper: "X and O is like yes and no. Is it sex? Maybe so. Tic-tac-toe."

I would rather just sit in that beautiful theater and watch clips of Dylan's good performances than put up with his gibberish again.

M.R. said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I cannot get that line out of my head now...which affirms I've never heard it before (not the sort of thing i forget). I keep repeating that line...and the word "Kyper."

Cate said...

#1-Dylan is HOTT in that pic. I could marry him.
#2-I don't like Adam Duritz
#3-I adore Dylan
#4-This is quite possibly the most "mesmerizing" blog post I've ever read.

M.R. said...

Cate,
#1 - Let's not be stupid.
#2 - WHAT?!?!
#3 - Duh.
#4 - Thank you. Too bad my systematic theology prof's lesson wasn't mesmerizing, otherwise I would not have been writing this post in his class.

Lauren,
You soooo totally would not. You are waaaay too cool for that scene (as well as for school).

Jen said...

Beautifully written, sir. Indeed, too bad for systematic theology. But too good for blog readers and such.

I would so go see Dylan live too, in a heartbeat. Don't doubt me, now. After all, I meant my "mumble, mumble" comments as mere fact, without anything disparaging. That is, I'm suggesting that "singing on the odds" (plus the influence of whatever various substances) sounds like mumbling, even if it's brilliant mumbling. But I'd go hear brilliant mumbling any day.

PS Please don't ever try eyeliner.