Monday, October 08, 2007

The Hobbit

For the last few years, LORD OF THE RINGS director, Peter Jackson has been in a legal battle with New Line Cinema over profits from RETURN OF THE KING. In the meantime, New Line continued its plans to adapt THE HOBBIT for the screen, even shopping the "prequel" to other directors, most notably, Sam Raimi of SPIDERMAN (ugh) fame. Naturally, LOTR fans went ape, refusing to imagine anyone but Jackson bringing Tolkien's Middle-earth to cinematic life. But now, just as the legal battles appear to be over, another director's name has surfaced: Guillermo del Toro, director of EL LABERINTO DEL FAUNO (PAN'S LABYRINTH).

When I first saw EL LABERINTO DEL FAUNO, and remembered Jackson's legal dispute, I wished this very thing.

I wonder if Mrs. Lisa will put this on the prayer list?

3 comments:

My Breathments Off said...

that would be nice. awesomely nice

Jen said...

I gasp.

Please, oh please.

Jackson's had his chance. Decent job on the first one, and of course the scenery is amazing, but enough with the story switchy-changey. Makes me want to see someone else's take. And del Toro's take would be amazing, beautiful, phenomenal, magical.

I second Sic's comments: it would be awesomely nice for del Toro to direct The Hobbit. It would also be awesomely nice for this request to appear on the prayer list. And awesomely hilarious, if also completely terrible.

PS this reminds me to say that sometimes Noel does this thing with his hands and then goes wide-eyed in a way that makes me imagine he's that terrible dude. It takes me a second to shake it off. Because after all, the kid is only interested in initiating some peek-a-boo, not eating my brains.

Cate said...

wow, wouldn't you be a happy camper