
As you may or may not know, Roger Ebert has been hospitalized for most of the last year or so. Consequently, he has not been able to review as many films and sometimes his reviews come in late. His four-star review of "Pan's Labyrinth" has just been posted. The link is http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061228/REVIEWS/61228001/1023.
I read Roger Ebert habitually. Our tastes are similar, but it's always interesting (to me) when he likes a movie I hate (or vice versa). Needless to say, we agree on "Pan's." Enjoy.
17 comments:
that picture scares me. almost scares me enough to build a second shed, so that when the eye-handed due (what spooks at midnight) appears in front of my bedroom window (in a flash of lightning how it always happens) then i'll run away from the eye-handed dude (what spooks at midnight) and run into my shed with the shotgun. then instead of backing up against the wall so that the eye-handed dude (what spooks at midnight) can grab me through the wall of the shed, he (what spooks at midnight) may enter the wrong shed whereas I can shoot him (what spooks at midnight) with the shotgun in the back of the hands (eyes) and then run away.
so I'm at least not seeing that movie until I've built my second shed (what guards at midnight).
Micah taught me this so I'm testing it out.
yay, it works!
Micah, yeah baby, yeah!!!!!!
Muffin, I'm so glad that you can post as "Muffin." So, how about now leaving a real comment? Or better yet, how about going to see the dang movie!?!!?!?!??!?!!!!!!!!!! Please. Anyone?!?!?! The first one to see it is my real friend. Remember, this time next year, one of us won't be around to go see movies with and talk about Oscar stuff?!?! How do you like that little guilt trip?!?!?!
That picture scares me. I mean, really. Cuz my brain is that way. I wish I could see this movie--really, really do because I'm quite confident I'd love the storytelling--but I clearly should not. Probably ever. Unless I quit being a wimp that way.
On the other hand, Micah's riposte is hysterical (what laughs at midnight), so I think it will balance out in my brain (what brains at midnight).
[Noel added a comment just as I typed that, but recreating it would in writing would be a bit difficult (what grunts at midnight)].
I think the eye-handed dude is kinda cute. What?
What?
Just kiddin' P. He's totally scary. I can handle him though. I'll see this movie one day fo sho.
Now you have a true friend! Congrats to Lauren for stepping up to the plate.
Do I really? All you guys are a bunch of Rosencrantzes and Guildensterns...or even worse, Ophelias!
Get thee to a nunnery!!!!!!!
I'm going to Wittenberg to study.
(yes, I am lame enough to compare myself to the most tragic Prince of Denmark.)
You are not Hamlet, nor were meant to be.
:) Thanks for reminding me.
Millais' "Ophelia", 1852
http://kunstiveeb.arhiiv.ee/pildid/millais/millaisophelia.JPG
B, in Kenneth Branaugh's version of Hamlet, with Kate Winslet as Ophelia (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), they enacted that painting for her death. So sad and lovely.
ooooh, I haven't seen that but would like to. It is sad, but lovely, yes...i've always liked it (the painting.) it kind of romanticizes death as an escape... soothing colors, the florals...love it.
did someone say "death as an escape"?
To be, or not to be; that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And, by opposing, end them. To die, to sleep--
No more, and by a sleep to say we end
The heartache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to--'tis a consumation
Devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep.
To sleep, perchance to dream. Ay, there's the rub,
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil
Must give us pause.
Oh, gosh. Here we go.
:)
Post a Comment