Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Another List

If I had to pick one album for every letter of the alphabet (and one that begins with a numeral), knowing that I could only listen to these albums the rest of my days... Oh, and only one album per performer (oh no he didn't!).

Abbey Road - The Beatles
Bringing Down The Horse - The Wallflowers
The Colour and The Shape - Foo Fighters
Definitely, Maybe - Oasis
Everybody Loves A Happy Ending - Tears For Fears
Friction Baby - Better Than Ezra
Grace - Jeff Buckley
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - John Williams
The Joshua Tree - U2
Kicking Television - Wilco
Living With Ghosts - Patti Griffin
Mad Season - Matchbox 20
New Beginning - Tracy Chapman
OK Computer - Radiohead
Parachutes - Coldplay
Queen: Greatest Hits Vols. I, II, & III - Queen
Recovering The Satellites - Counting Crows
Sam's Town - The Killers
Thriller - Michael Jackson
Under Rug Swept - Alanis Morissette
-
Wincing The Night Away - The Shins
-
You Could Have It So Much Better - Franz Ferdinand
Zoom - ELO
40 Acres - Caedmon's Call

The hardest decision was for "N." Nirvana's Nevermind got edged out. I have no albums on my ipod that begin with "V." The only album I have that begin's with "X" is Coldplay's mediocre X & Y, but since I already used Parachutes...

17 comments:

Micah said...

you wouldn't switch sgt pepper and achtung baby? i don't know what exactly to put in j, but that ain't a bad switch, skipper.

M.R. said...

That is a strong switch, my friend. But in the end, I like Abbey Road a little better than Sgt. Pepper's and Joshua Tree a little better than Achtung Baby, so it worked out perfectly. That being said, if forced to switch, I would not be at all disappointed.

Jen said...

This list amazes me. My jaw is dropped.

For "V" I offer the following albums from my iTunes:

1) "Vertically Challenged" EP by Lady Sovereign. Ch-Ching.

2) "The Vinyl Pimps" by The Vinyl Pimps. I've only listened to this long enough to know I don't like the meter: sincere but amateur rap.

3) "Vivaldi: Four Seasons, Violin Concertos" with Itzhak Perlman as violin soloist, featuring the London Philharmonic Orchestra for The Four Seasons and the Israel Philharmonic for the concertos. This was one of the first CD I ever owned.

Hard call. On the one hand, it seems like cheating to put Vivaldi in the Vs just because his name starts with V--I mean, that's not a creatively found album title. On the other hand, it seems ridiculous to choose Lady S-O-V over Vivaldi. Though I do like the Lady, I doubt she'll be remembered 100 years from now, but people will still be listening to Vivaldi--and probably Perlman's renditions too.

As for the X . . . I too only have Oasis' "X & Y" under that letter. I think this means we need to craft an album whose title starts with X, to put one in competition.

Micah said...

Anything you have just said is now discounted because you credited Oasis with the album X&Y. All your comment are belong to us.

Micah said...

I'm surprised to find that making a list was so easy. Here, out of my iTunes library, with two ties (or unchosen letters), all that would make the list (with repetition):

Achtung Baby (U)
Before the Robots (Ezra)
Check Your Head (Beastie Boys)
Don't Believe the Truth (Oasis)
Eponymous (REM)
First Impressions of Earth (Strokes)
Good Night, Good Luck (Soundtrack)
Hot Fuss (Killers)
Ill Communication/In Rainbows (Beastie Boys/Radiohiead)
Joshua Tree (U2)
Kind of Blue (Miles Davis)
Let it Be (Beatles)
Magical Mystery Tour (Beatles)
Nevermind (Nirvana)
Ok Computer (Radiohead)
Paul's Boutique/Parachutes (Beastie Boys/Coldplay)
Q
Revolutions of Time (Willie Nelson)
Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Beatles)
Time Out (Dave Brubeck)
U
Weezer (Weezer)
X
You Could Have it so much Better (Franz Ferdinand)
Z

Micah said...

oh, and V

M.R. said...

All that Beastie is against the rules!

Anonymous said...

This is interesting. I'd have to have more than one Beatles, regardless of these "rules." I'd also have Weezer's Weezer (blue).

For the Killer's it'd be hard becaues Hot Fuss is good, but can't touch Hwy 61. That said, Sam's Town wouldn't beat Songs in the Key of Life, for me. I'd have some bob marley on there as well, exodus or natty dread.

Nirvana's MTV Unplugged would be on there, couldn't live w/o that one, nor some sort of blues album, probably Experience Hendrix by Jimi Hendrix, though not a studio album. I'd also probably have Best of Bowie, though again, not a studio.

That's how I keep it...real, son





















real

M.R. said...

It was tough to pick Sam's Town over Songs in the Key of Life and Synchronicity, but I like every song on Sam's Town and don't on the others.

Anonymous said...

well, i think having my favorite artists would be more important to me, even if it meant having some imperfect albums. In literature, however, that doesn't hold true. Odd

Cate said...

Wow. It amazes me that you can be so confident to pick these. It would absolutely blow my mind into a million pieces to have to pick. I'm glad you can though!

Cate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cate said...

Haha, I'm just glad counting crows wasn't on there. And Abbey Road is just the best. I'm not so hot on the Matchbox 20.

M.R. said...

No Counting Crows? Look again.

Cate said...

whoops. u suck.

M.R. said...

wrong again.

Cate said...

Haha, whatever dude.